The MACz0r project.

all pictures

The MACz0r project was started when my good friend Jeremy got a hold on few abused Imacs (you know those round-ish funky colored "computers"). On the sunny afternoon of 2003-05-20 we brought 3(.5) Imacs to my room we immediately started dissambeling them with finess of awesome. An Imac is not like any computer I have worked on so far; it has lots of plastic thats rounded and "snapped together" so to take it apart is like solving a rubics cube. The insides of the machine are not much more heart warming, you have 2 sections (1) the CPU compartment which is located towards the Imacs bottom and (2) the monitor/powersupply part which takes up the larger and upper-portion of the computer.

"I am a chainik.. when it comes to Macs."-Ilya A Sukhanov [2003-05-21]

Our inventery consisted of:

After the disection and a brief examination of the computer we started deciding what to do with all this neat stuff. Our priorities (descending order): Build 1 functioning Mac OR if possible use fans to make hovercraft, X.

"A mac's ease of use is only mouse deep."-Jeremy Powitz [2003-05-20]

The beginnig: We knew accomplishing our primary goal wasn't going to be easy primarly because the CPU portion of the mac we had was not compatible to the Monitor portion. We had to use extrodinary measures to "fit" these two together. Initially we were thinking of assembeling the whole computer and testing it as a whole but decided that we should (1) not take too go to far to see if the computer itself works and (2) powering up a cathode tube is not something we want to do especially if we dont know how the powersupply is going to behave.

The problem: The first thing we had to solve is how to provide the power to the motherboard, its powesupply-connector looks very similar to that of ATX but it is a bit smaller and has 2 more wires (leads). This tuned out my hopes for plugging in a modified ATX powersupply. Solution applied was by taking one of the PCB's from the "monitor section" that "looks" like it handles most of the power management (powersupply in other words) and connecting it to powersupply. Both the mac's power supply and the motherboard's connectors were female, another dissapointment (not that we mind females). We lacked enough parts to make a nice wire with two male connectors to connect the motherboard and the power supply, so we took out the soldering iron of awesome and braidz0r with which we removed the female connector and soldered on the wires that had one male connector directly onto the PCB.

"You guys are macz0r haxz0rz"-Steve Palmero [2003-05-22]

You'd think as soon as we got to this point we'd be so eager to plug it in that nothing would be able to stop us. Umm, ok, maybe a little bit. But things didn't get together as well as planned we had to do the powerup at another day because it was getting kinda late and we had to clean up my room so that I could walk in the dark without cutting myself up on PCB's. The power up would consist of just a few tools (1)extension cord (2)power strip (3)headphones (4)long stick (5)fire extinguisher (6)lots of open space (7)spetsnac shovel. Why all of this you ask. Well you never know what a powesupply like that might have in mind especially since we'r not really sure if wiring is proper, and those BIG capacitors are scary-looking. The plan is I plug it in while jeremy uses the long stick to press the start button and has the headphones to listen for the start-up-beep, if anything goes wrong I turn off the powerstrip and if needed jeremy can use fire extinguisher.

The dissapointment: Day 3 was a friday of rainz0r (you know humid/rainy days +high voltage>g00d), the day before LANforce VI.0. We got everything set up [almost as planned]. The mobo and powersupply PCB were placed on 2 wooden planks on the cement floor of the garage. A long extension cord was pulled from the closest GFI AC outlet to a nice surge-protected-powerstrip. Then using a nice shiny black computer power cable we plugged in the computer into the powerstrip which was in the "off position". I ran up to the GFI and tested it really quick, it worked. Then I took of the fire extinguished off the wall and made sure it was (1)electrically safe(powder stuff) and (2) that it worked. Now the fun part, we plugged in the head phones, reset bios, put the fire extinguisher close to us, turn on the power strip and finally the final moment. <sound-fx>Click</sound-fx> [reset button]. Me and Jeremy fly to the wall as soon as we come about the are 2m flames bailing out from everywhere and the surge protector is all black with the wires welded together, and the BIG SCARY capacitors are jammed in the HIGH ceiling. /Me rubs eyes. Ok, I guess thats not really how it went (fortunatelly).. As we turned the computer on the LED's started flashing and the speakers started playing Ol' Ludvigs the 9th. Argh.. There I go agian.. As much as we whould love to something like that.. What really happened is by far more mysterious and intriguing. Not that it is good. In fact, absolutely nothing happened.

Documentation or project has only gotten up to here so far check back for rest.